Between National Conventions, the business and
affairs of the Association of United Ukrainian
Canadians is conducted by a Board of Directors,
called the National Committee and its executive,
National Executive Committee. AUUC National Office
is located in 595 Pritchard Avenue, Winnipeg,
Manitoba, R2W 2K4, Phone 800-856-8242, (204) 589-3404,
Fax: (204)589-3404, email: email@example.com
Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 805 E. Pender Street,
Vancouver, BC V6A 1V9 Tel: (604) 254-3436. AUUC
Vancouver Branch consists of Vancouver String
Orchestra, Barvinok Choir, The AUUC School of
Dancing, Vancouver Ensemble and Dovbush Dancers.
The history of the branch dates back to 1928 when
the AUUC Ukrainian Cultural Centre had its beginnings
as the Ukrainian Labour Temple. This building
became a focal point in some of the struggles
of the Dirty Thirties. It was the organizational
headquarters for the On To Ottawa Trek in 1935
and a place of refuge for strikers in the great
Post Office Strike in 1938. Padlocked in 1940
under the "Defense of Canada Regulations", and
sold, it was returned and reopened in 1945 before
a large festive crowd of members and supporters.
In 1957, cultural life in the centre was greatly
rejuvenated under the leadership of Cultural Director
Karl Kobylansky who had just come from Kyiv after
studying music. A festival followed in 1958 with
participation of groups from across Canada. In
1959, the operetta Chervona Kalyna was
successfully staged. It was followed in 1961 by
a grand concert in honour of Taras Shevchenko
on the 100th anniversary of his death.
The 1960's and 1970's saw impressive Women's Day
celebrations, a concert in tribute to the Ukrainian
poetess Lesya Ukrainka, and the participation
of members in the Vancouver Peace Walks.
In 1991, the orchestra and dancers took part in
the Ukrainian Showcase at the Pacific National
Exhibition. Also, Vancouver cultural participants
joined with other AUUC'ers in the 100th anniversary
of first Ukrainian settlements in Canada in centennial
festivals in Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto.
In 1988, after much planning and effort, the Lesya
Ukrainka Manor, a residence for seniors, next
door to the AUUC Cultural Centre, opened its doors.
Its existence is celebrated each September when
Ukrainian Pioneer Day events are held.
A part of its continuous activities, the branch
has explored the Ukrainian traditions of Ivana
Kupala festivals, celebrating the fertility of
nature through songs and dances. Malanka, a celebration
of the return of the sun's warmth and lengthening
of days, is celebrated every year. Coinciding
with the 70th anniversary of the opening of the
hall and the 80th anniversary of the founding
of the AUUC, a pictorial exhibition (1923 to 1988)
was organized in 1998. In September 1999, an amazing
exhibit of embroidery, crochet and other crafts
showcased the talents of members and pioneers.
In the new millennium the Vancouver Branch has
undergone major changes with the departure of
some active members. The remaining members have
had to work much harder to keep things going.
Quite fortunately, we have had some very successful
events. One of the initiatives that has worked
well is our effort to learn more about our surrounding
community and to coordinate some of our events
with the community.
A significant event in 2003 was our concert, dinner
and historic photo display to celebrate the 75th
Anniversary of the building of our Ukrainian Labour
Temple at 805 East Pender Street in Vancouver.
With an overflow crowd eating their dinner at
tables set up outside and musicians playing old
time fiddle and accordion tunes, the atmosphere
really took one back to earlier days.
We were very happy to be able to take part in
this festival of celebration with Alberta and
Saskatchewan on the occasion of their 100th year
in the Canadian confederation. Ukrainians were
very much a part of the hard work that has made
Alberta and Saskatchewan the success they are
today. Congratulations from the AUUC in Vancouver!
AUUC Calgary Branch
Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 3316-28th Avenue SW,
Calgary, AB T3E 0R8, phone: (403) 246-1231, email:
Branch No. 55 of the AUUC is the parent body of
the Calgary Hopak Ensemble. We are extremely proud
our choir, orchestra and dancers. The Children's
Dance School is thriving with enrollment growing
year. We are proud to boast that participants
include Ukrainian immigrants and fourth and fifth
generation Canadians of Ukrainian descent, as
well as members of other ethnic backgrounds.
In May 1999, we hosted the very successful Pre-Millennium
Dance Festival (Dance into the Millennium) at
the Jack Singer Concert Hall.
We continue our fund raising projects to sustain
our centre, cultural activities and the children's
Kamenyar at Sylvan Lake.
Concerts are held at community facilities throughout
the city. The Hopak Ensemble receives fre
quent invitations to perform throughout the city
and the province.
We maintain an active Ukrainian Senior Citizens'
In 1939, two people from Calgary, Anne Skulsky
and Kay Wusyk-Wintonyk, participate in the First
National Festival of Music, Song and Dance held
Calgary cultural forces presented 52 concerts
to the armed forces during WW II. ULFTA women
actively participate in the activities of the
Performers participated in the festival held in
Edmonton in 1946.
In 1945, plans were made to build a new home for
our branch. Hours of volunteer labour, donations
of nickels and dimes with much sweat and tears
are needed to bring our dream to reality and in
we herald the grand opening of the Ukrainian Hall
at 209-4th Ave SE. The old hall is the centre
of all our
activities until 1968 when the city expropriates
the lot and building to make way for new development.
1976 we moved to our present hall on 28th Ave
Some highlights of our activities through the
decades of history:
* Radio and television programs featured our choir,
orchestra and dancers.
* Operettas - Cossack Beyond the Danube
and Natalka Poltavka were featured prominently.
* Ukrainian and Canadian plays were staged - notably
Zemlya and Adam's Sons.
* Ukrainian heritage scenes from Bukovinian wedding
and Hutsul wedding were performed.
* Branch participates promoted local, provincial
and national festivals.
* Shevchenko concerts with Edmonton branch participants
* Participants traveled to BC (Vernon Winter festival)
and other provinces.
* Expo '67 in Montreal was a highlight.
* Activities such as the showing of historical,
musical and literary films also occured at the
* Support of our press facilitated effective communications,
keeping branches across the country informed of
the work taking place in the AUUC.
Culgary proudly participated in the history of
our branch and our organization. Events strengthened
the AUUC and preserved our heritage.
AUUC Edmonton Branch
Ukrainian Centre, 11018 - 97 Street, Edmonton,
AB T5H 2M9, Phone (780) 424-2037, Fax: (780) 424-2013,
The organization and cultural activities of the
progressive Ukrainian community in Edmonton started
at the very beginning of the last century. A Taras
Shevchenko Reading Room existed as early as 1901,
organized by the first few Ukrainian settlers
to the area.
Cultural activities resulted in the
organization of the Association for Self-Education
in 1915. First dramatic presentations were popular
and membership grew quickly.
At the outset, the
Edmonton branch rented the hall of the Presbyterian
Educational Institute for its activities and rehearsals,
but quickly outgrew it and performances were moved
to local theatres.
In 1920, the Ukrainian Labour
Temple Association was formed, and in 1922 it
bought the Presbyterian Educational Institute
on 106A Avenue and 96th Street as its new hall
and expanded the facility to meet its activity
The new Ukrainian Labour Temple Association
continued the work of the earlier choral-drama
circles, established a theatrical library of plays
for both adult and children's groups and gave
regular performances. It established choirs and
organized orchestral groups starting with mandolins.
In 1927, the Edmonton Branch took its first early
steps in Ukrainian folk dance, soon adding gymnastics
and a band program.
During the 1930's, plays and
concerts were staged almost weekly. In the summers,
performing groups presented concerts in many of
the more than 40 farming communities in Alberta,
which had organized their own branches and built
their own halls in the late 1920's and early 1930's.
The performers rode in farm wagons over rutted
roads, slept in private homes and on the floors
of Ukrainian Labour Farmer Temples.
national festivals were fully planned for Saskatoon
and Edmonton in July 1940, but World War II intervened
and activities of the ULFTA were stifled by the
Canadian government of the day.
In 1946, a National
Festival of Ukrainian Song, Music and Dance of
the newly incorporated Association of United Ukrainian
Canadians took place on July 26-28 in the Edmonton
Gardens Arena. It was a three-day event with 1000
performers from the four western provinces before
a combined audience of 15,000. A first in the
history of Ukrainian settlement in Canada was
the arrival of a five-person delegation from Ukraine,
including vocalists Ivan Patorzhynysky and Zoya
Haidai who delighted the audiences.
In 1952, the
present Ukrainian Centre, on 110th Avenue and
97th Street was built, and our cultural forces
expanded and grew. 1959 saw Edmonton's Kamenyar
Dancers and the AUUC School of Ukrainian Folk
Dance and Music appear in the Canada-wide Weekend
Magazine. This provided a significant impetus
for the growth of performing art groups in our
In 1961 the Shevchenko Festival
paid tribute to the 100th anniversary of the death
of the revered Ukrainian poet, as well as marking
the 70th anniversary of Ukrainian Immigration
to Canada. Concerts were held across Canada, with
the Edmonton Concert at the Jubilee Auditorium
before an audience of 3,000. Edmonton Branch at
this time had two fine dance ensembles: "Kamenyar"
and the "Lileya" groups, a drama group, Mixed
Choir, String Orchestra and a Senior Dance Group.
Celebrations were held with combined forces of
Calgary, Edmonton and Lethbridge at various other
1966 marked the 75th Anniversary of Ukrainian
Settlement in Canada. A very special guest, Wasyi
Pylypiw, the son of the first Ukrainian immigrant
to Canada, honoured the Jubilee performance.
100th birthday in 1967 was celebrated by a number
of events, including a concert at Victoria Composite
High School, a great festival with 300 performers
at the Jubilee Auditorium, and the Kamenyar Dancers
appearing at Expo '67.
The cultural activities
of the Association of United Ukrainian Canadians
in Edmonton branched out considerably during the
1970's. Over 300 people participated in choirs,
dance groups and a string orchestra. Concerts
were presented at the Ukrainian Centre, the Jubilee
Auditorium, in high school auditoriums and in
various towns and farm communities throughout
Alberta. Our drama groups gave outstanding productions
in 1974 and 1975 with the staging of "The Pencil"
by Ivan Franko, "the Signature" by Vasyi Stefanyk
and "Adam's Sons" based on the classic Zemlya
(Land) by Olga Kobylyanska. In 1971"Festival '80"
celebrated eight decades of Ukrainian Immigration
In 1985 the highlight of our performances
was the premiere of the musical dramatic choreographic
production of the "Hutsul Wedding".
National Festivals commemorated a 100 years of
Ukrainian immigration to Canada, in 1991. In Edmonton,
Winnipeg and Toronto. 80 years of the AUUC were
celebrated in 1998 with a joint performance
of Calgary & Edmonton at our Edmonton Jubilee
The Edmonton Branch was proud to host
the AUUC National Millennium Festival in 2000
with participation of performers from across Canada
and with special guest artist Luba Goy, in celebration
of our entry into the new Millennium. We thus
also highlighted the part our organization, from
the early pioneers to their descendants of today,
has played in the last century.
The activities at the Edmonton Cultural Centre
have always maintained a high standard of excellence
and continue to do so today. At present the Edmonton
AUUC cultural groups consist of the Trembita Folk
Choir, the Trembita Folk Dancers, and the Trembita
School of Ukrainian Performing Arts. We are happy
to be carrying on the vision of our forefathers
and promoting our cultural heritage by our participation
in this wonderful Festival celebrating the Centennial
of our two provinces.
AUUC Innisfree Branch
5221 - 45B Avenue, Vegreville, AB T9C 1L3, Phone
AUUC Vegreville Branch
Box 481, Vegreville, AB, T9C 1R6, Phone (780)
AUUC Regina Branch
Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 1809 Toronto Street,
Regina, SK, S4P 1M7, Phone (306) 522-1188, www.poltava.ca
A branch of the Ukrainian Labour Temple Association
(ULTA) was established in Regina in 1919 when
the membership of the then Zluka organization
decided to rename itself, having adopted the constitution
of the ULTA earlier. Originally located in a building
purchased from the Romanian community, the growth
of the membership and activities resulted in the
members building their own hall in 1929.
Highlights of the Branch's existence would, no doubt, include the following events:
The establishment of a Children's Language School in 1919, to be followed by a Children's String Orchestra in
1922, were to become the cradle for almost a century of cultural-educational activities and artistic performing
groups at the Ukrainian Labour Temple now known as the Ukrainian Cultural Centre.
In 1939 the Regina Ukrainian String Orchestra was to participate in the first National Ukrainian Festival of Song,
Music and Dance in Toronto. From that point on, the cultural forces of Regina were to participate in all future
national and regional festivals such as those in Edmonton (1946), Toronto (1961), Edmonton (1971), Winnipeg
(1974), Regina and Calgary (1980), Winnipeg and Toronto (1991) and Edmonton (2000).
In 1946 the renowned soloists of the Kyiv Opera Theatre, Ivan Patorzhynsky and Zoya Haidai,
appeared in concert with the Regina Ukrainian String Orchestra at Knox Metropolitan Church.
The Regina AUUC was a founding member of the Regina Multicultural Council (1965) and Access Communications
(Cable Regina Co-operative) in 1974. The AUUC produced numerous programs entitled the Ukrainian Dimension
for the latter from 1977 to 1981, which were broadcast on some 130 time slots.
Leading members of the AUUC were instrumental in the establishment of a monument to the great Ukrainian
poetess, Lesya Ukrainka, on the grounds of the University of Saskatchewan (1976). As of 1977, the Regina AUUC
invited guest artists from Ukraine to appear at the Poltava Ukrainian Pavilion during Regina's annual Mosaic,
Festival of Cultures. Since its inception, the Pavilion has been visited by over 200,000 patrons.
In 1980, on the occasion of the 75th Anniversary of the Province of Saskatchewan, a Ukrainian Dance Festival was
sponsored to a "sold-out" audience at the Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts. Participants included Regina's Poltava
Ensemble Dancers and Orchestra, the Edmonton Trembita Orchestra and Dancers, the Calgary Hopak Orchestra
and Dancers and the Winnipeg String Orchestra. Earlier the Province's 50th Anniversary had been marked by
Provincial Festivals in Regina and Saskatoon with some 300 musicians, dancers and singers from the province.
Throughout its history the Association of United Ukrainian Canadians and its forerunner the Ukrainian Labour-
Farmer Temple Association have striven for ties with Ukraine. It has sent students for advanced studies in
Ukraine, while its musicians and dancers have appeared on the stages of Ukraine in 1981, 1986, 2001 and 2002.
The AUUC not only concerned itself with the retention of its heritage, but played a significant role in the
struggle for medicare, trade union rights and within the Canadian peace movement.
Ukrainian Labour Temple, 591 Pritchard Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R2W 2K4, Phone 800-856-8242,
(204) 582-9269, Fax: (204) 589-3404 , ult-wpg.ca.
AUUC Winnipeg Branch consists of the Winnipeg
Mandolin Orchestra, the Winnipeg Mandolin Quintet,
The Cheremosh Trio, Lesya Ukrainka Choir, and
School of Folk Dance.
Almost five years have passed since the last national
festival. Many of us have warm memories of that
event. We recall the many rehearsals, the pleasure
of meeting old and new friends, and the excitement
when the curtain went up. Since that time, members
of the Winnipeg Branch have continued with some
of the usual activities and embarked on some new
Perhaps the most demanding event for the Winnipeg
Branch in terms of manpower is the Lviv Pavilion
at Folklorama that takes place every year in August.
Aside from meetings and rehearsals and culinary
preparations that take place all summer, well
over 700 man-hours are devoted to this activity.
With close to 10,000 people visiting the pavilion
every year, this is a wonderful opportunity to
showcase our talent and tell people about the
Every year the mandolin orchestra sponsors and
showcases the Festival of Mandolins. This allows
the orchestra to explore different music, while
remaining faithful to a Ukrainian repertoire,
to invite other mandolinists and instrumental
ensembles to perform, and to meet people in the
community who are interested in mandolin music.
Other annual events include a children's Christmas
party, a bake and craft sale, Malanka, Fall Supper
and the closing-of-the-season Spring Concert.
Last year, our School of Folk Dancing celebrated
its 50th Anniversary. This event was acknowledged
by the presentation of dancing by all the classes
of the school, and was also featured as the main
theme for the Lviv Pavilion in the AUUC Labour
Our choir, orchestra, mandolin quintet and Yunist
dancers are often invited to appear at events
outside of the Ukrainian Labour Temple. These
invitations have taken us to shopping centres,
museums, senior citizens' homes, festivals, colleges
and many sites outside of Winnipeg. Through the
Canadian Society for Ukrainian Labour Research,
Winnipeg Branch members have hosted several symposia
involving a wide spectrum of participants who
delve into broad historical issues and topics
of socio-political significance.
Members of the AUUC Winnipeg Branch were especially
proud when our Ukrainian Labour Temple was designated
a heritage building by the Province of Manitoba,
the City of Winnipeg, and the Federal Government.
Massive repairs to this building were made possible
by generous donations by AUUC members and friends
across Canada and with the support of the provincial
and civic governments.
We remain committed to the Association's goals
of promoting and preserving Ukrainian Canadian
ultural heritage and to the cause of social justice
AUUC Ottawa Branch
24 Attwood Crescent, Ottawa, ON K2E 5A9, Phone:
AUUC Sudbury Branch
Jubilee Centre, 195 Applegrove Street, Sudbury,
ON P3C 1N4, Phone: (705) 674-5534
The Jubilee Folk Ensemble, associated with the
AUUC Sudbury Branch, has roots dating back four
generations to the first Branch 40 orchestra in
the 1920's. From its Ukrainian immigrant beginnings,
the Jubilee Folk Ensemble enters the new millennium
with Canadians from numerous cultural backgrounds.
The orchestra follows the tradition of folk music-music
originating from ordinary people around the world.
The Jubilee Folk Ensemble is conducted by Oryst
Sawchuk. It is in great demand to play at special
events in Sudbury and vicinity.
AUUC Toronto Branch
Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 1604 Bloor Street West,
Toronto ON, M6P 1A7, tel: (416) 588-1639, Fax:
(4160 588-9180; firstname.lastname@example.org
While early Ukrainian immigrants were sent to scattered farm communities in Western Canada,
some did settle in Ontario. Throughout the Canadian Shield, men worked in nickel and gold mines,
railroad "extra gangs", and logging camps. Those in Toronto laid sewers, paved roads and helped
build large plants. Immigrant women worked at housework and whatever jobs they could find in
textiles and needle trades, laundries and factories.
Cultural activities helped ease their labour aches and pains, their feelings of loneliness and their
nostalgia for family left behind. Programs of plays, concerts and skits were well under way before
the First World War and provided some solace for Toronto Ukrainians on hearing the words and
songs of their far-away home. As cultural-educational activities grew with Ukrainian immigration,
rented quarters were not adequate to house all this creative activity.
Encouraged by the building of the Ukrainian Labour Temple in Winnipeg, Toronto Ukrainian
activists began collecting nickels and dimes, appealing to their audiences for donations for a new
Opened in 1927, over the next six decades, The Ukrainian Labour Temple at 300 Bathurst Street
became known far and wide for its cultural achievements and prominent participation in community
and political affairs. What seemed initially spacious and adequate was soon found barely so, as a
host of activities filled its space. Apart from the range of Ukrainian cultural activities, Toronto
provided opportunities to study the Ukrainian language and yes, English too, for older immigrants
who had no way of studying the language of their new homeland. Seasonal bazaars were week-long
affairs with games of chance and skill, delicious Ukrainian food and baking, as well as bushels of
donated farm produce which were sold and raffled. Rehearsals, weekly concerts and dramas filled
This surge of cultural activity carried over to the opening of new labour temples in the Toronto
area—West Toronto, East Toronto and New Toronto. Activities in these branches were soon
overshadowed by ominous global events. It is not commonly known in Canada that in 1936
Canadians—among them many Ukrainians, mostly members of ULFTA—found their way to a
three-year civil war in Spain, serving with the MacKenzie-Papineau brigade. After heroic, uneven
battles, many returned wounded while others lay for eternity in Spanish soil.
At the beginning of World War II, many ULFTA leaders and activists were interned in concentration
camps, and only in 1942 were the last released. Democratic Canadians petitioned the
government to release the arrested anti-fascists and to rescind the anti-ULFTA legislation, which
resulted in seizure of property and padlocking of ULFTA halls. After great pressure, the Canadian
government returned most of the buildings, including 300 Bathurst Street, in 1945.
Many ULFTA members served in all branches of the Canadian armed forces, while the women used
our hall as a centre for providing parcels of aid and comfort to our fighting men. Our cultural
groups performed at military camps and many concerts were held to raise money for war bonds.
Many members of the Toronto ULFTA Brass Band joined in the Navy Show of the armed forces.
Returning veterans were honoured with a large WELCOME HOME BANQUET held in a downtown
hotel in Toronto.
In the post-war years, national festivals, held in various localities, won great recognition for our
association and displayed the richness of Ukrainian culture before many thousands of our fellow
The newly formed Toronto English-speaking branch
took its place along side the men and women's
branches of our newly named AUUC. The branch was
large and active in promoting The Ukrainian Canadian
newspaper, in the English language, commencing
in 1947 and in volunteering to enhance the Camp
Palermo grounds-both major initiatives. Camp Palermo
greatly enriched our organizational activities
both culturally and in our Ukrainian community,
climaxing with the unveiling, in 1951, of the
first Taras Shevchenko monument in North America.
Today 300 Bathurst and Camp Palermo are gone, our press is combined into an
English-Ukrainian newspaper and our Toronto branches have combined into one AUUC Branch
No 1 in our new AUUC Cultural Centre at 1604 Bloor Street West. We have a solid core
of experienced and devoted AUUC members who meet regularly and have every intention of
carrying our proud Toronto tradition into the 21st century.
Ukrainian Labour Temple, 342 Ontario Road, Welland,
ON L3B 5C5, Phone: (905) 732-5656. Part of the
AUUC Welland Branch is Welland Mandolin Orchestra,
Women's Choir and Weland Senior Citizen Club.
The Association of United Ukrainian Canadians
in Welland has promoted, nurtured and supported
cultural activities right from its inception.
In 1917, a Ukrainian Labour Temple was constructed
at the end of Sixth Street in Welland near the
Welland Canal. It was not only Welland's first
Ukrainian Community Centre but was also the first
Ukrainian Labour Temple in Canada.
As soon as it was built, a drama club began to
function and a few years later, a Ukrainian language
school was begun. With volunteers doing the teaching,
the schooling was provided at no cost to the parents
of the children who attended.
From these early beginnings the first Mandolin
Orchestra was initiated in 1926. This same year
the Hall was moved to its present location on
the corner of Ontario Road and Beatrice Street.
Aside from the Orchestra many of the same activities
are carried on today by the next generation of
children who are now the elders in the organization.
Perohy are made and sold every second week. The
A.U.U.C has its regular meetings as well as the
Shevchenko Seniors' Club which continues to be
active and contributes to the cultural and other
activities at the Labour Temple.
The Welland A.U.U.C. is proud of its contribution
to the City of Welland and the entire Region of
Niagara and is so recognized by the area.